With club closures, shelter in place and an uncertain future, we've pivoted our platform to collect, promote and broadcast livestream concerts to support our jazz musician friends. We've also revamped the weekly Jazz Near You newsletter to highlight livestream events as well as All About Jazz content you may have missed.
Got the cooped up blues? We highly recommend:
- Celebrate the Jazz Super Fans! The column that celebrates folks like us is back as Tessa and Andrea interview Mr. Positivity," Mike Black. Learn why Mike is a super fan here. To catch up on our entire Super Fan archive, go here.
- Bulding a Jazz Library? Chris May and Peter J. Hoetjes bring you four new installments: Hard Bop: An Alternative Top Ten, AACM: Together We Are Stronger, Strata-East: Seizing the Time and The Ten Most Essential Art Farmer Albums.
- An that's not all! We also reviewed Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool (documentary) on DVD; we've reached #14 in our 20 Seattle Jazz Musicians You Should Know with drummer Christopher Icasiano; interviewed Brazilian guitarist André Peloso; and interviewed French vocalist Alice Soyer.
- Catch up on your Mr. PC: Inspired by the cutting edge advice of Abigail Van Buren, the storied bass playing of Paul Chambers, and the need for a Politically Correct doctrine for navigating the minefields of jazz etiquette, Mr. PC humbly offers his services to adoring fans everwhere. Read his latest Sneezing, Spouses and Singers. The entire Mr. PC archive can be viewed in all its glory here.
- Russell Perry's Jazz at 100 continues with Weather Report: Zawinul, Shorter, Pastorius (1971-1976) and Jazz from Europe on ECM (1972-1976).
- Forgotten Gem: Recorded in 1972, we revisit trumpeter Luis Gasca's For Those Who Chant here. To listen to the entire album as a YouTube video, go here.
- Check in on our album review section and discover new music. We publish four (sometimes five!) new reviews daily.
- Discover new music with All About Jazz's track of the day. It'll keep you busy for hours.
- Our radio programs and podcasts provide countless hours of entertainment and discovery. Tune in to any of our 10, soon to be 12, possibly 13 shows.
Latest contest giveaways: ESP-Disk' and Posi-Tone Records
Free jazz lovers are in for a treat as our friend Steve Holtje at ESP' Disk has assembled a mouth-watering prize bundle for five lucky winners. If you love yourself some Albert Ayler
, Matthew Shipp
, Burton Greene
and Milford Graves
, this contest is for you! Enter here
Six days remain on the Posi-Tone Records giveaway. Up for grabs are four albums featuring some of today’s brightest young stars and strong veterans including Josh Lawrence
, Roxy Coss
, Behn Gillece
, Alexa Tarantino Nick Finzer
, Jenny Hill
, Michael Dease
, Tim Green
and more. Enter here
Musician? Work on your All About Jazz presence. All free.
Musicians who recently upgraded their professional pages at All About Jazz: Mauricio de Souza
, Vince Eury
, Brian Nova
, Joseph Patrick Moore
, Lisa Maxwell's Jazz Orchestra
, Omar Sosa
, and Alex Bird
. Please visit their pages and explore their music. Thanks!
Do the pivot!
We're doing our best to rigorously pivot our platform to support our jazz musician friends and ourselves during this time of crisis. If you're not already suffering from donation fatigue, please consider supporting AAJ with a modest sum. As noted journalist and good friend, Joe Woodard stated when hearing about our directional shift to broadcasting live streams, this is great, and something AAJ is ideally and philosophically suited for." If you agree with Joe, please make a donation. DONATE