Pianist Mike Catalano teams up friends and favorite talents to make this dream come true.
Beginning with his co-producer Will Lee
, veteran bassist, vocalist, producer (Oh, The Fab Faux, Late show with David Letterman,), and arranger Rob Mounsey (Dave Koz At the Movies, Aaron Neville, Natalie Cole, Ivan Lins, Michael Franks, Steely Dan
, Paul Simon
, Billy Joel, Flying Monkey) and rounded up a virtual who's who of the contemporary jazz and jazz industry as guests and musicians Ivan Lins
, Bob James
, Chuck Loeb
, Steve Gadd
, Peter Erskine
, Bashiri Johnson, Jeff Mironov, Shawn Pelton, Lou Marini, Ricardo Silveira
, and Randy Brecker
, Mark Egan
, Nico Assumpcao, George Whitty and Vanessa Falabella.
Catalano might be new to the contemporary jazz world, but his music has been heard by Millions of Americans, when he was composer for the nationally syndicated TV SHOW A Current Affair" with Maury Povich and many other shows for Fox New York including the first theme music for GOOD DAY NEW YORK.
His long time dream of making a smooth jazz CD is finally a reality. As a follow up to his successful Brazilian release A Rio Affair
which was only released in Brazil, he wanted to enter the smooth jazz world head first in his own town MANHATTAN! A Manhattan Affair
Highlights of the A Manhattan Affair
- The new hot single Smooth as Silk".
- A duet with Mike on Acoustic piano, Bob James on Rhodes, Blue Lou Marini's soulful saxophone. (The Blues Brothers, James Taylor, Steve Tyrell, SNL orignal band!), doing a new fresh contemporary jazz version of Beauty and The Beast" and Moonlight in Baja" where Randy Brecker Joins Marini for a smokin horn section! Brecker and Marini's horns light up many of the tunes on this CD.
- A duet with Mike Catalano's piano and Will Lee singing The Fool on the Hill".
- Duet with Mike's piano and Ivan Lins singing Dindi (full versions in English and Portuguese)
- Special featured appearance by Rob Mounsey on Mr. Swing", and multiple arranging contributions by Mr. Mounsey
- The nine original piano lead tunes by Mike Catalano, with this stellar cast, rhythm sections second to none,with of course Will Lee, Jeff Mironov, Chuck Loeb, Steve Gadd, Peter Erskine...and all of the above! Total of 13 songs on A Manhattan Affair.
- The mixes by Ken Freeman (Fourplay, Bob James) are sparkling to say the least!
- We also believe in the tradition of liner notes, and were blessed with having legendary New York Post Journalist Steve Dunleavy, Mike's long time friend from A Current Affair", write the liner notes for A Manhattan Affair exclusively for the full color 16 page booklet!
I've watched Mike Catalano's career blossom from his days of Brazilian roots-music into the full-fledged jazz musician he is today. You can feel his inspiration as you listen to every nuance of his playing and writing. His music is sure to move anyone with heart & soul!" —WILL LEE, 2007, CO-PRODUCER
Mike Catalano will be available for all press related ventures, interviews, performances with piano or band, as needed, on request and performing in a town near you!