Live album that marked McMurtry's re-emergence also to be released on vinyl for first time.
The singer-songwriter will perform solo and also co-headline dates with the Bottle Rockets in 2011.
NASHVILLE, Tenn.Childish Things and Live in Aught-Three, two of singer-songwriter James McMurtry's most popular albums, will be reissued by Lightning Rod Records on February 1, 2011. Live in Aught-Three has been remastered since its original 2004 release and will be available on vinyl for the first time. The deluxe double LP also includes a copy of the album on CD. McMurtry will also embark on a rare solo tour this winter corresponding with the reissues. His 2011 touring plans also include a co-headlining run with the Bottle Rockets.
While 2005's Childish Things isn't an overtly political record, the centerpiece has to be We Can't Make It Here," McMurtry's commentary on the state of the union. Novelist Stephen King, a longtime fan who has written about McMurtry several times in his Entertainment Weekly column (including the January 7, 2011 issue, where he hailed McMurtry as the best songwriter in America"), described We Can't Make It Here" as the best American protest song since [Bob Dylan's] Masters of War."' Childish Things and We Can't Make It Here" won the Americana Music Awards for album and song of the year, respectively.
At a run time of more than 77 minutes, James McMurtry's newly remastered Live in Aught- Three includes many of McMurtry's best-loved songs including No More Buffalo," Levelland," and the quintessential version of his dysfunctional family reunion epic, Choctaw Bingo."
The son of acclaimed author Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove, Terms of Endearment), James grew up on a steady diet of Johnny Cash and Roy Acuff records. His first album, released in 1989, was produced by John Mellencamp and marked the beginning of a series of acclaimed projects for Columbia and Sugar Hill. In September 2006, McMurtry received more Americana Music Award nominations for 2008's Just Us Kids. The album marked his highest Billboard 200 chart position in more than 19 years. Live in Europe followed in 2009, and it documents McMurtry and his band on their first European tour (where they were accompanied on keyboards by the legendary Ian McLagan).
James McMurtry is simply fearless," wrote Elmore magazine. While many other singer- songwriters make veiled references to difficult subjects, McMurtry courageously lays it out there."
- Fri., Jan. 14, 8:30 p.m. ROSEMONT, IL The Montrose Room at InterContinental
- Sat., Jan. 15, 7 & 10 p.m. CHICAGO, IL Old Town School of Folk Music at Gary and Laura Maurer Concert Hall, with Del Barber
- Sun., Jan. 16, 8 p.m. EVANSTON, IL SPACE
- Tue., Jan 18 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club Gallery (Solo)
- Wed., Jan 19, mid. AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Fri., Jan. 21, 9:30 p.m. SAN MARCOS, TX Cheatham Street Warehouse
- Sat., Jan. 22, 9 p.m. DALLAS, TX Granada Theater, with Jason Eady
- Tue., Jan 24 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Wed., Jan 26, mid. AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Fri., Jan. 28, 7:30 p.m. TULSA, OK All Soul Acoustic Coffee House
- Tue., Feb 1 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club Gallery (Solo)
- Wed., Feb 2, mid. AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Sat., Feb. 5, 8 p.m. CONROE, TX Crighton Theater, with David Bromberg
- Tue., Feb. 8 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Tue., Feb. 15 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Tue., Feb. 22 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Tue., Mar. 1 AUSTIN, TX Continental Club
- Wed., Mar. 16, 9:30 p.m. NASHVILLE, TN The Bluebird Cafe
- Thurs., Mar. 17, 9 p.m. ASHEVILLE, NC The Grey Eagle
- Fri., Mar. 18, 7 & 9:30 p.m. DECATUR, GA Eddie's Attic
- Sat., Mar. 19, 8 p.m. MARYVILLE, TN The Shed at Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson, with
*with the Bottle Rockets
- Thur., Mar. 24, 9 p.m. LAWRENCE, KS Bottleneck,
- Fri., Mar. 25, 9 p.m. COLUMBIA, MO Mojo's*
- Sat., Mar. 26, 8 p.m. ST. LOUIS, MO The Pageant*
- Tue., Mar. 29, 7 p.m. CHAMPAIGN, IL High Dive*
- Wed., Mar. 30 MADISON, WI High Noon*
- Thur., Mar. 31, 9 p.m. DULUTH, MN Pizza Luce*
- Sat., April 2, 8 p.m. DES MOINES, IA People's Court*
- Sun., Apr. 3 OMAHA, NE Waiting Room*
- Thurs., Apr. 28 BERKELEY, CA Freight & Salvage (Solo)
- Fri., Apr. 29 SANTA CRUZ, CA Rio Theatre (Solo)
- Sat., Apr. 30 LOS ANGELES, CA McCabe's (Solo)
This story appears courtesy of conqueroo.
Copyright © 2020. All rights reserved.
For interview requests or more information contact conqueroo.