Many critics have opined that Lloyd's New Quartet," with Jason Moran, Reuben Rogers and Eric Harland may be the best of all his groups. The quartet's previous release in this line-up, the live-recorded Rabo de Nube, met with across-the-board approval and was voted #1 album of the year in both the Critics and Readers Polls of JazzTimes.
The Quartet has toured extensively since the September release of Mirror both in the states and abroad. Early in the new year they will again hit the road in the USA:
- January 20Hanover, NHHopkins Center D artmouth College
- January 21 and 22Boston, MARegattabar
- January 23Burlington, VTFlynn Center
- January 25Amherst, MAU Mass
- January 28Middletown, CTWesleyan Univ.
- January 29New York, NYJALCRose Theater
- January 30Buffalo, NYAlbright-Knox Gallery
And later in the year: June 3Chicago, ILOrchestra HallCharles Lloyd Quartet + Zakir Hussain
Concert review from Barcelona Jazz Festival just a couple of weeks ago: Lloyd is so special and his music is so unique because he has achieved something only few can do: translating his own inner universe into music. There is an omnipresent sparkle of Lloyd's soul whenever he plays and that is, in itself, a universal language which juxtaposes with the equally universal language of music." Joao Moreira dos Santos on allaboutjazz.com
For interview requests or more information contact ECM Records/Universal Classics.