Branding, is now more than ever, the most important investment an Artist can make towards their own career success.
Today is one of the greatest times to be in the music industry. We have more educational, technological, and musical content and freedom available on a daily basis than at any previous point in history. However, since we have more access, it becomes evident that developing a strong brand is more important to be able to become the needle that sticks out of the content haystack.
Branding is all about perception. Branding is the perception that your potential audience has of you, your image and your music. Branding is the basis and focus of how and why you are able to reach your audience. Branding creates relationship loyalty, trust and other intangible equity that associates with your ability to monetize. Branding can make or break your career.
Your Brand is simply You:
1) Your visual image, the way you look, your haircut, clothes and style... etc.
2) Your sonic image, musical style and influences.
3) Your verbal image, how you conduct your business, how you communicate and relate.
4) Your Web and social media presence.
How do you brand yourself?
1) Try to imagine yourself and what you do as others would see it.
2) Figure out what comes natural to you. What comes honestly? Sincerity sells.
3) Figure out how you are different than everyone else. What is your niche?
4) Look at role models and dissect what you like about how they brand themselves and their music.
5) Devise a plan for what you want your brand identity to be and execute it.
Successfully establishing a brand helps you cut through the clutter that is instantaneously available today. Through successful branding you can make yourself stand out. Making yourself stand out attracts the attention of your potential fan-base and gives you a foundation to build your career upon.