Here's the latest compilation of assorted news briefs and links related to jazz, improvisation, and creative music in St. Louis, including news of musicians originally from the Gateway City, recent visitors, and coming attractions, plus assorted other items of interest:
* Via Miles Davis Online, there's a bit more news this week about actor Don Cheadle and his interest in starring in the proposed film biography of the trumpeter.
* Saxophonist and former St. Louisan David Sanborn and pianist Joe Sample are among the headliners for the fifth annual Jazz in the Gardens at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., on March 20 and March 21.
* Here's a review of Rollo-Coaster, the new CD from saxophonist and Webster University grad Chris Cheek and accordion player Victor Prieto, written by Dan Bilawsky for AllAboutJazz.com
* Turning to news of recent visitors, singer Vanessa Rubin was profiled last week by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Manny Theiner. Rubin finishes her run this Sunday as star of the Black Rep's production of Yesterdays: An Evening With Billie Holiday. On a related note, the Village Voice's Francis Davis recently reviewed two more tributes to Holiday by singers DeeDee Bridgewater and Stephanie Nakasian (via NPR's A Blog Supreme).
* Pianist Mulgrew Miller (pictured), who records for the St. Louis-based MAXJAZZ label and seems to make it here for a performance at least once a year, has been named Artist in Residence for the 2010 Detroit International Jazz Festival.
* After playing The Pageant here last month, Galactic and Karl Denson's Tiny Universe took their tour on to the Fillmore in Denver, where their performance was reviewed by Geoff Anderson for AllAboutJazz.com.
* Meanwhile, pianist Vijay Iyer , who was here in January to play Jazz at the Bistro, recently went to London for a duo performance with saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa. Here's a review of their show from the LondonJazz blog.
* From the coming attractions" file, singer and pianist Jamie Cullum's new CD The Pursuit was released last week, and he's featured in the current issue of Nylon magazine. He also will perform songs from his new CD on a live broadcast this Thursday evening, March 11, for Canada's JAZZ.FM91, which you can hear online here. JAZZ.FM91 also is offering Cullum's song I Think I Love" as a free download this month in their iTunes Lounge. Cullum arrives in St. Louis this Sunday, March 14 to play the Roberts Orpheum Theatre.
* Saxophonist Houston Person just wrapped a gig at NYC's Jazz Standard, and Nate Chinen was there to review it for the New York Times. Person is coming to St. Louis on Sunday, April 11 to headline the Jazz St. Louis benefit gala at the Hilton at the Ballpark.
*Via Kansas City's jazz blog Plastic Sax, we see that Pat Metheny is on the cover of the March issue of Jazz Inside magazine, and learn of a Metheny fan who seems a little too excited about getting his copy of the guitarist's latest CD, Orchestrion. Metheny will be in St. Louis on May 8 to play the Touhill Performing Arts Center.
* Vocalist Michael Buble has been nominated for six Juno Awards this year, including Album of the Year and Artist of the Year. The Juno Awards are the Grammy Awards equivalent for Canadian-born recording artists. Buble comes to St. Louis' Scottrade Center on June 25.
View the original article...