Todd Clouser's A Love Electric Announces US Tour Dates to Support "20th Century Folk Selections"
Baja, Mexico-basedby way of Minneapolisguitarist Todd Clouser and his band, A Love Electric, release their sophomore album, 20th Century Folk Selections, on February 14 via The Royal Potato Family. The set features eight renditions of songs that Clouser calls folkloric in nature," including those by the likes of Nirvana, Lou Reed and Beastie Boys among others. The recording will be released in conjunction with a tour that extends over 30 dates in the US plus shows in Spain and Mexico.
20th Century Folk Selections is part of a series of three albums planned for release in 2012 by the fast-emerging, young jazz artist. Ranging from his anthemic take on protest singer Malvina Reynolds' Little Boxes" to a psychedelicized garage rock jaunt through the Beastie Boys' iconic Gratitude," Todd Clouser displays a muso's appreciation of songs and styles through the lens of jazz-inspired improvisation. The guitarist's reading of The Needle And The Damage Done" by Neil Young deconstructs its haunted melody to uncover even deeper sorrow in the songwriter's tale, while a gorgeous straight-ahead take on Nirvana's All Apologies" replaces Kurt Cobain's classic lyric with the dark moan of a trumpet. Special guests joining A Love Electric on 20th Century Folk Selections include trumpeter Steven Bernstein for a version of Buddy Holly's classic Everyday" and percussionist Cyro Baptista throughout the album's eight tracks.
Todd Clouser is a revered jazz name south of the border in his adopted home of Mexico where he regularly performs at the country's biggest jazz clubs and festivals. Clouser spent the majority of 2011 on the road touring. In doing so, he worked his band into a razor sharp unit capable of a telepathically melding jazz finesse and jagged rock energy into his own instantly identifiable sound. As the results captured on 20th Century Folk Selections prove, an inspired new voice in the idiom is on the rise.
Upcoming tour dates are:
- February 17 & 18 | The Artists Quarter | St. Paul, MN
- February 21 | High Noon Saloon | Madison, WI
- February 22 | Davey's Uptown | Kansas City, MO
- February 23 | Soundpony | Tulsa, OK
- February 24 | TreeHouse on Boston | Tulsa, OK
- February 25 | Reggie's Music Joint | Chicago, IL
- February 26 | Riverside Music Experience | Davenport, IA
- February 29 | Dazzle | Denver, CO
- March 1 | Avogadro's Number | Fort Collins, CO
- March 2 | The Crosstown Lounge | Grand Forks, ND
- March 3 | Touch of Europe | Sioux Falls, SD
- March 7 | Rockwood Music Hall | New York, NY
- Mar 8 thru Mar 19 | Spain Tour Dates
- March 21 | Something Jazz Club | New York, NY
- March 23 | Radio Bean | Burlington, VT
- March 29 | The Divided Sky | South Lake Tahoe, CA
- March 30 & 31 | Moody's Bistro | Truckee, CA
- April 2 | Revolution Cafe | San Francisco, CA
- April 4 | Vaudeville Mews | Des Moines, IA
- April 5 | Studio Z | St. Paul, MN
- April 6 | Lawrence University | Appleton, WI
- April 10 | Cafe Maude | Minneapolis, MN
- April 12 thru April 30 | Mexico Tour Dates
- May 2 | Artmosphere | Lafayette, LA
- May 10 | NH Jazz Center | Lanconia, NH
- May 11 | Thunderbird Cafe | Pittsburgh, PA
- June 22 | The Ritz Theater | Minneapolis, MN