New NEA Jazz Master Dave Liebman Week Begins at All About Jazz with Extensive Interview and More!
A few months shy of 65, saxophonist Dave Liebman may be having the busiest time of his career, now in its fifth decade. In the past 12 months, nearly a dozen releases have demonstrated the tremendous stylistic breadth of a musical oeuvre that kicked into high gear in the early 1970s. On January 11, 2011, Liebman is being awarded the 2011 Jazz Masters Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), and it's a milestone for both the saxophonist and his generation.
All About Jazz is celebrating this well-deserved recognition with a week of features that begin today, with Managing Editor John Kelman's in-depth interview, Dave Liebman: A New York Story.
But that's not all.
All About Jazz will be featuring a variety of Liebman-oriented content, also starting today, with John's insightful CD Review of the saxophonist's recent duet record with French pianist Jean-Marie Machado, Eternal Moments (Bee Jazz, 2010). You can also read Jeff Dayton-Johnson's capsule reviews of Eternal Moments and pianist Bobby Avey's latest, A New Face, on which Liebman participates.
Watch Liebman's longstanding Dave Liebman Group, with guitarist Vic Juris, bassist Tony Marino, and drummer Marko Marcinko, from a December, 2010 performance in Geneva Switzerland as today's video, and check out a variety of photos of Liebman in action in the FEATURED PHOTOS" box, over the course of the next week.
Finally, All About Jazz is bringing you five different free download tracks from five recent albums to feature Liebman, as AAJ's Free MP3s feature, starting today and running through to Friday, January 14, 2010:
- January 10: A Bright Place," from Dave Liebman Big Band's Live / As Always (MAMA, 2010);
- January 11: The Sky," from Dave Liebman Group's Turnaround: The Music of Ornette Coleman (Jazzwerkstatt, 2010);
- January 12: Lost Horizon," from Contact's Five on One (Pirouet, 2010), also featuring Marc Copland. guitarist John Abercrombie, bassist Drew Gress and drummer Billy Hart;
- January 13: WTC," from Dave Liebman/Richie Beirach/Frankfurt Radio Bigband's Quest for Freedom (Sunnyside, 2010);
- January 14: Standoff," from Quest's Re-Dial: Live in Hamburg (Out Note, 2010), also featuring pianist Richie Beirach, bassist Ron McClure and drummer Billy Hart.
All About Jazz is committed to bringing you the most extensive coverage surrounding artists and releases, so be sure to check out all the buzz surrounding new NEA Jazz Master Dave Liebman and his plethora of releases at All About Jazztoday...and all week!