Support the Victims of Hurricane Katrina: When The Saints Go Marching In
New York City Jazz Community Comes Together to Assist Gulf Region Victims of Hurricane Katrina
Concert Schedules (updated daily)
New York, NY (September 1, 2005) – In the wake of the worst natural disaster in United States history, New York City’s jazz and blues community is mobilizing to assist the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The list of participants grows by the hour, and other establishments are encouraged to sign on.
WHAT: “WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN:” is a weeklong relief effort beginning September 11, 2005. During this week, participating bars and clubs have agreed to donate portions of their sales to the American Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund. Information for participating bars/clubs, events and schedules will be continually updated at AllAboutJazz.com.
WHEN: September 11-18, 2005
WHY: Four years ago, the nation united to help New York City in its time of need. Now it is time for us to respond in kind.
WHERE: Throughout Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs.
WHO: The following bars/clubs/organizations have already committed to “WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN:”
- The Iridium, 1650 Broadway, 212-582-2121
- The Jazz Standard, 116 East 27th St., 212-576-2232
- Joe’s Pub, 425 Lafayette St., 212-539-8500
- SMOKE, 2751 Broadway, 212-864-6662
- Tonic, 107 Norfolk Street, 212-358-7501
- Zinc Bar, 90 West Houston Street, 212-477-8337
- The Jazz Gallery, 290 Hudson St., 212-242-1063
- Lenox Lounge, 288 Lenox Avenue, 212-427-0253
- Trumpets Jazz Club, 6 Depot Square, Montclair, NJ, 973-744-2600
- Swing 46, 349 West 46th St, 212-262-9554
- Session 73, 1359 First Avenue, 212-517-4445
- The Cajun, 129 8th Avenue, 212-691-6174
- Cornelia Street Café, 29 Cornelia Street, 212-989-9318
- Detour, 349 East 13th Street, 212-533-6212
- Garage Restaurant & Café, 99 Seventh Ave. South, 212-645-0600
- Terra Blues, 149 Bleecker Street, 212-777-7776
- Louis 649, 649 East 9th Street, 212-673-1190
- The Brooklyn Jazz Consortium, 23 Pulaski Street, Brooklyn, 917-535-9781
- Creole, 2167 Third Ave., 212-876-8838
- Estia Cantina, 177 Main St., Amagansett, NY, 631-267-6320
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, 646 West 131st St., 212-694-1777
- Automatic Slim’s, 733 Washington St., 212-645-8660
- Sweet Rhythm, 88 Seventh Ave South, 212-255-3626
HOW: All donations will be mailed directly to The Red Cross, and companies will receive receipts of their donations from The Red Cross for confirmation and tax purposes.
A CALL TO PARTICIPATE - 212-255-8455 ext. 25
“WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN” is a growing hurricane relief effort that is looking for additional New York City jazz and blues clubs to sign on. With so many different clubs, and so many different circumstances, we can’t impose one across-the-board donation policy. We simply ask that you get creative, utilize the spirit of jazz, and give as much as you can.
For bars/clubs interested in joining this effort, please contact Mark Ballard at...
212-255-8455 ext. 25