Before fusion became popular in the early 70s, there was a community of musicians in NYC experimenting with Jazz/Rock in the mid-to-late 60s. Two of the leaders of this movement were guitarist Larry Coryell and saxophonist Steve The Count" Marcus. They documented these radical new ideas on two classic recordings made in 1967 and 1968 using the name Count's Rock Band. The two musicians also collaborated on many of Larry Coryell's late 60s and early 70s recordings.
Once Coryell started the high powered fusion band, The Eleventh House, and Marcus became the featured tenor sax soloist in the Buddy Rich Big Band, the two musicians didn't work together again until 1999 when they had a chance meeting at a concert where they were both performing.
Out of that meeting, the idea of a reunion" began to emerge. Coryell and Marcus called drummer Steve Smith, who had recently recorded and toured with both musicians in separate Tone Center projects and asked him to play on and produce the project. (Cause And Effect - with Larry Coryell, Tom Coster and Steve Smith TC-40022, Steve Smith and Buddy's Buddies featuring Buddy Rich Alumni: Steve Marcus, Andy Fusco, Lee Musiker, Anthony Jackson TC-40062).
Joining Marcus, Coryell, and Smith (who was named one of the Top 25 Drummers Of All Time in the January 2001 Modern Drummer readers poll) is bass phenom Kai Eckhardt, a former John McLaughlin and Vital Information sideman. Pianist Jeff Chimenti, who tours on the jam band" scene with Les Claypool's band and Bob Weir's Ratdog, was brought in to play on four tunes.
Steve Marcus and Larry Coryell reunite, after 30 years, to record music that simultaneously revisits the past, lives in the present and looks toward tomorrow. It all comes together in Count's Jam Band-Reunion.
Larry Coryell - Guitar
Steve Marcus - Soprano Sax
Steve Smith - Drums
Kai Eckhardt - Bass
Jeff Chimenti - Piano on 1, 3, 6 & 7
Produced by Steve Smith
Recorded and mixed December 4-9, 2000 at Prairie Sun Studios, Cotati, CA
- Scotland (6:33) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Reunion (9:55) Eckhardt (Naim Label GEMA)
- Rhapsody In Blues (11:14) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Pedals and Suspensions (5:52) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Foreplay (8:09) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Blues For Yoshiro Hattori (6:48) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Tomorrow Never Knows (12:45) Lennon/McCartney (Northern Songs BMI)
- Ballad For Guitar And Soprano (5:37) Coryell (Coryell Publishing/Deganawidah Music BMI)
- Jammin' With The Count (5:45) Marcus, Smith, Eckhardt (Vital Information Publishing ASCAP, Naim Label GEMA)