2010'S Rising Star is 15-Year-Old Gifted Songbird Nikki Yanofsky
As you are making your early 2010 coverage plans, beautiful teenage Canadian vocalist Nikki Yanofsky needs to be at the top of your list. Heralded as a young Ella Fitzgerald, with poise, polish, nuance and artistry" (Seattle Post-Intelligencer), you're certain to hear/read about Yanofsky in the coming months. Here's why:
- Produced by Phil Ramone and Jesse Harris (of Norah Jones fame), Yanofsky's Decca debut will be out first quarter 2010 and features the star's songwriting collaborations with both Harris and famed Canadian songwriter Ron Sexsmith, in addition to an original song written for her by Feist.
Paying homage to her jazz upbringing, the album will also spotlight unique arrangements of standards with her big band, an original song that Yanofsky wrote for Ella Fitzgerald entitled First Lady", and the classic Joni Mitchell song Circle Game."
- Yanofsky will star in a PBS concert special, which will tape on November 11th in her hometown of Montreal. The special will broadcast nationally on PBS affiliates during the March 2010 pledge drive and will also be available for purchase on DVD.
- Yanofsky has already shared the stage with multi-award composer Marvin Hamlisch, performed with the legendary Count Basie Orchestra and collaborated with Wyclef Jean.
- Yanofsky is the youngest performer ever to headline her own show in the history of the Montreal International Jazz Festival, which she did at age 12.
- Yanofsky will kick off a U.S. tour next spring. Of Yanofsky's live performance, the Washington Post declared Yanofsky... stunned the crowd with her vocal maturity....she's something else, with a bright, pitch-perfect voice..."
- In 2008, Yanofsky made her Canadian debut with 'Ella... Of Thee I Swing, ' a live CD/DVD tribute to her musical idol, Ella Fitzgerald. Certified Gold, 'Ella...' was nominated for two Juno Awards, and the DVD documentary Nikki: Beginnings" won a Gemini Award - the Canadian equivalent of the Emmy. All at the age of 13, making Yanofsky the youngest nominee in Juno Awards history.