Steve Turre Embracing His Latin Side at Smoke NY
The trombonist Steve Turre has an unforced affinity for Latin jazz and the sort of deep instinct that manifests over time.
Born into a Mexican-American family, he grew up in the San Francisco area, absorbing a wide range of sounds, including Latin music. That background has turned out to be vital in a career that has included stints with the salsa band Conjunto Libre and with the great percussionist-bandleaders Mongo Santamara and Tito Puente.
But Mr. Turre, who turned 60 this year, has usually declined to present his music as Latin jazz per se: he sees the style as part of a constellation of interests, alongside funk and jazz and R&B. (It makes perfect sense that he has worked in the Saturday Night Live band for more than 20 years.) His most recent album, Rainbow People (HighNote), characteristically reflects this ideal. His current band, the Latin Jazz All-Stars, diverges from it slightly, judging by its output at Smoke on Thursday night.
Of course this difference is chiefly by design. As its name suggests, the group focuses on Afro-Caribbean rhythm and features some considerable talent: the trumpeter Ray Vega, the pianist Arturo OFarrill, the bassist Yunior Terry and the percussionists Pedro Martinez (on congas) and Ernesto Simpson (on drums). Their rapport in the first set was clear, if a little casual. Mr. Turre presided over the action with the most genial brand of direction.
Steve Turre performs again on Saturday at Smoke, 2751 Broadway, at 106th Street; (212) 864-6662, smokejazz.com.
Steve Turre Related
Sorry, no events found. Submit one now.
Steve Turre "Sanctified Shells" at The Dakota:
- Delicious And Delightful by Glenn Astarita
- Rainbow People by Ian Patterson
- Rainbow People by Jim Santella
- Keep Searchin' by Russ Musto
- Keep Searchin' by Dan McClenaghan
- Albert Thompson Alex Dragonetti Andrea Noble
- Arild Herstein Azzar Riad Befo
- Begin Ben Davies Bill McIntyre
- Bradley Linn bridget r boyle Bruce G. Brownlee
- camille ludwig Chris Fox ChuckAllAboutJazz
- Connor Helms David Kuntz David Perkel
- dee Dennis G. Bell Dr L M Craig
- Duane Peirick Ed Kyle Eddy Streck
- Edna Willadsen Edward Keith edward rodberg
- Eric Sheets Evan Oberla Francois Belliard
- Frank Creed Frank Polgar Gene Riddell
- George Relf gerald porzio Gustav Rasmussen
- Harvey Schneider Ian Garrett Ian Thumwood
- Irvin Green J.Herrera James Di Feo
- James Seroky James Zawatski Janan Cheskis
- Jeffrey Clark JOE LOSARDO John Anderson
- John Bouwsma John Mackill Jordan E Erdos
- Jose Sánchez Joseph Cronin Joseph Groff
- Josh McDonald Justin Vargo keith d james
- Keith R Hunt Ken Keni Searvance
- Kenneth Derr Keno Harders Kermit H. Crissey, Jr.
- Kirk Robert Sellman Lance Saltzman Larry Joiner
- Luciano Morina MADEJ Marc Nebozenko
- Mark Carroll Martin Pickett Mary Ann Brady
- Mary Capps Matthew Clark Mel Vo
- Michael Anderson Michael Carter Michael Cousins
- Michael Ricci Michaela Rabitsch Mike Hodges
- Montgomery Lynn Montgomery Mansfield Nicholas R. Minear
- Patricia Hilke Paul Collins Paul Goldstein
- philip w halter Preston Foster Randall Carlson
- Reid Woolery Richard Brandt Richard Tucker
- Rick Teller email@example.com Robert McNeice
- Rodger Matthews RONDA NOEL Rudolph Lu
- Ryan Chen Scott Albin Sebastian Zurowski
- Stephanie Bondlow Stephen C. Pardys Stephen Rose
- stephen watkins Steve Taufer Steven R. Holloway
- Susan Ross Theodore Allchin Thomas Cronin
- Thomas Hulten Tim O'Brien Timothy Nelson
- Tom Carvalho vladimir pisaric