Jazz pianist Ayako Shirasaki
residing in NY, USA released her new trio CD Some Other Time
on August 28, 2013 on Jan Matthies Records (JMR 201301).
On Some Other Time
Ayako combines the hard swinging bebop language of Bud Powell with the sophisticated harmonic elegance of Bill Evans, but with a brilliant creativity all her own and one guiding theme: melody!
These are songs without words:
- Sunrise (Ayako Shirasaki)
- 3 Steps Forward (Ayako Shirasaki)
- Yosaku-与作 (Kiminori Nanasawa)
- Some Other Time (Leonard Bernstein)
- Oleo (Sonny Rollins)
- April in Paris (Vernon Duke)
- My Man’s Gone (George Gershwin)
- Long Ago and Far Away (Jerome Kern)
- Sophisticated Lady (Duke Ellington) – piano solo
- Antagata Dokosa – あんたがたどこさ (Japanese Traditional)
- Peace of Mind (Ayako Shirasaki)
- Hope (Lars Jansson)
Ayako is joined by Noriko Ueda
on bass. Noriko, also living in NY, is the winner of the third annual BMI Foundation/Charlie Parker Jazz composition Prize. She played with notable musicians such as: Frank Wess, Grady Tate, Kenny Barron...
On drums: Quincy Davis
. Davis has toured with leaders including Benny Green, Cyrus Chestnut...
Recorded on May 10 2013 at Systems Two, New York, USA
After her CD release tour in Japan this July you can see Ayako performing live this fall again in Japan and in Switzerland: October 5 - Some Other Time'" in Seijo Hall - trio concert in Japan November 19-24 - Lucerne Festival in Switzerland
Some Other Time" is available at amazon, itunes, cdbaby etc. but not to be found on streaming services.