Jazz Pianist Dave Brubeck Dead At Age 91
Throughout his career, Brubeck defied conventions long imposed on jazz musicians. The tricky meters he played in “Take Five” and other works transcended standard conceptions of swing rhythm.
Dave Brubeck, a jazz musician who attained pop-star acclaim with recordings such as Take Five" and Blue Rondo a la Turk," died Wednesday morning at Norwalk Hospital, in Norwalk, Conn., said his longtime manager-producer-conductor Russell Gloyd.
Brubeck was one day short of his 92nd birthday. He died of heart failure, en route to a regular treatment with his cardiologist,” said Gloyd.
The extended choral/symphonic works he penned and performed around the world took him well outside the accepted boundaries of jazz. And the concerts he brought to colleges across the country in the 1950s shattered the then-long-held notion that jazz had no place in academia.
As a pianist, he applied the classical influences of his teacher, the French master Darius Milhaud, to jazz, playing with an elegance of tone and phrase that supposedly were the antithesis of the American sound.
As a humanist, he was at the forefront of integration, playing black jazz clubs throughout the deep South in the ’50s, a point of pride for him.
For as long as I’ve been playing jazz, people have been trying to pigeonhole me,” he once told the Tribune.
Dave Brubeck Related
Jazz in the Aquarian Age
- Brubeck: The Quintessence (1948-1959) ; Take Five; QSF Plays Brubeck; 1975: The...
- Take Two: Variations on Dave Brubeck
- Time Out (50th Anniversary Legacy Edition) by Graham L. Flanagan
- Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival 1958-2007 by George Kanzler
- Alasdair Rathbone Alex Dragonetti Alex Munroe
- Allan Watt Amelia Olay Kaplan Andrea Jackson
- Anthony Bibb B.J. Jansen Barbara A Baker
- Ben Rosenblum Berg Berkay
- Brandon Cordoba Brian Elie Caetano de Oliveira Brasil
- Cai Marle-Garcia Charvis Zackary Harrell Christopher Johnston Harrity
- Claire colin macdonald Cubby
- Dave Folman David Luke Edwin Peterson Dean Christesen
- Dee Redd Dennis Marynick Dimitri May
- Don Alexander Donald M Kennedy Duane Peirick
- Edward Cheverton Eric Huang frank tribble
- Frank Waslowski Gazy Kattan Gene Riddell
- Harold Strawbridge Irma Van Dam Ivan Jelik
- James Zawatski Jared Warsoff JazzyGuy
- JC Martin Jean-Marie JUIF Jeanineantoinette Okpala
- Jeffrey Ewert Jelena Vasic Jesus Ignacio
- Jlwctn Joey Amado John Lawrence
- Johnny Pouncy Jonathan Russell Joni Crawford
- Joon Kim Jose Antonio Garcia Cebrian Josh N
- Juan Camarillo Kaisi Hu Kathy L Rambousek
- Ken Dryden Kirk Robert Sellman Kristofer Kusano
- Kyle Sandersen Larry Lindo Mbhele
- Mac Rusling Mark Tooher Matthew Clark
- Matthew Eli Wengerd Melanie Coulson Micah Korb
- Michael Anderson Michael Lloyd Michael Ricci
- Michael Vatza Michaela Rabitsch Miodrag Mitrasinovic
- mira Monksdream Moose Alexander
- Natalya Kyeva Oded Bratman On Target Media
- Oyegoke Tanitoluwa Patrice Lockhart Patrick Breiner
- Paul Hardin Paul M. Mock Phelps Pond
- Philip Ellison Randall Carlson Regent Laporte
- Rhonda Barron Rhonda Lake Richard Tucker
- Richard Wright Rick Shaw Robert Cryer
- Robert T. Smith Robin J-O Romney White
- Ronald Manley Scott Seewald Scott Wiegrefe
- Sharon Davis Shlome Spielman Sissy Buckles
- Stephanie S Thomas STEVE KRAWITZ steve stephens
- Steven B. Schonwetter stuart Synergy
- Te deum Theodore Allchin Thomas Hoenisch
- Thomas Hulten Tim Fearnside Todd Ellington
- Todd S. Jenkins TONY HOOPER Uta Budzinski
- William Cook Zachary Z